You are here
Communications Associate - Washington Environmental Council, Seattle
The core responsibility of the Communications Associate is to advance WEC’s mission by working to execute WEC’s communications plan. The Communications Associate will work with the Communications Director and other WEC staff to provide communications support on issue campaigns, increase available written information about WEC’s work, increase the reach of our communications, and integrate data management into online communications. The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Director.
Who we are
Washington Environmental Council (WEC) drives positive change to solve our state's most pressing environmental challenges. For more than 40 years, we have been at the forefront of environmental protection in the state, securing laws and policies that safeguard the health of our families and our environment. From bedrock laws like the State Environmental Policy Act, to free electronic waste recycling, to finding solutions that reduce our climate emissions and build our clean energy economy, WEC ensures a healthy future for our state so it remains great place to live and work.
This position is an exciting opportunity to join the WEC team. Our staff of twelve consists of policy, communications, organizing and fundraising professionals; we have a committed board of directors of twenty four, and maintain a unique and close partnership with Washington Conservation Voters to leverage the most effective policy and political strategies to achieve change. The WEC offices are located in downtown Seattle, in a LEED-certified building home to many of Washington’s most innovative progressive groups, and are easily accessible by transit and bike. We offer competitive salaries, good benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference.
Strategy and Planning
· Work with Communications Director to execute the communications plan.
Public Relations and Community Involvement
· Regularly update organizational website, as well as assistance with other campaign websites.
· Build WEC social media presence – use robust social media engagement to drive people to our website and content that informs them on key issues, as well as creates avenues for online engagement.
· Tracks media coverage of WEC and our issue areas; maintains press clippings; maintains media contact database.
· Work with Communications Director to produce timely, visually appealing printed organizational materials (tri-annual newsletters, annual report), as well as materials for legislative and policy campaigns.
· Special projects that might range from research projects to creating a story bank to producing materials for a particular issue.
· Improve data usage to drive communications and outreach (including email A/B testing, improved targeting of email communications to donors and activists).
· Work with Organizer to enhance younger member outreach by producing needed materials, targeted social media outreach, developing a distinct younger member tone for materials, and assisting as needed with events.
· Write and design marketing materials, case studies and other needed development materials.
· Assist with communications elements of fundraising and other stewardship events.
· Special projects as assigned, including the possibility of working for our partner, Washington Conservation Voters.
Required Skills, Experience and Abilities
· At least 2 years of experience with advocacy communications in a non-profit setting.
· A commitment to protect, restore and sustain Washington’s environment.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Knowledge of and interest in existing and emerging communications technologies and social media.
· Familiarity with web editing (Plone or WordPress preferred).
· Experience with Adobe InDesign a plus
· Interest in using data to drive communications (familiarity with Salesforce and Vertical Response a plus)
· Ability to set priorities and manage multiple short-term and long-term projects simultaneously.
· Proven ability to work collaboratively and form strong working partnerships with individuals and organizations.
· Familiarity with legislative campaigns.
Competitive non-profit salary, depending on experience and education. Benefits include health, dental, vacation, transit pass, and retirement plan.
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing samples, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Communications Associate" in the subject line. This position closes on June 22nd, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis. No phone calls or mailed applications please.
Washington Environmental Council is committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations, or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.